Successful e-commerce marketing requires knowledge of certain areas. In this regard, having the right set of ecommerce marketing skills can help boost success. From pay-per-click advertising to blogging, and from search engine optimization to analytics, ecommerce marketing is vast, diverse, and complex. The objective is to find those activities, promotions and tactics that generate benefits.
Five years ago, Practical Ecommerce published an article outlining critical skills for ecommerce entrepreneurs. The suggestions were, perhaps, contradictory: to be able to write, to know how to learn and to be a skilled listener. These skills referred to the strategic capabilities that entrepreneurs require.
Building on these skills, here is a set of tactical capabilities that should help your ecommerce marketing succeed.
Skills for digital marketing and e-commerce
- Copywriting, content marketing: The ability to write is essentially the ability to communicate online. Every ecommerce product description, every blog post, every how-to article, every page about us, every video script is an act of writing. Done right, writing will help boost your ecommerce marketing. If done wrong, it will cause laughter and embarrassment. Clear writing is a requirement for successful ecommerce marketing.
- Data analysis, analytics: Successful marketing specialists examine facts and statistics to make good decisions about how to invest in marketing and promotion. This ability to consider facts and understand the implications of statistics is called data analysis. It is important for modern ecommerce marketing.
- Data collection and testing: Closely related to data interpretation and analysis is the ability to collect data and statistics about your company’s marketing performance. If you can gather good information on how your marketing is performing, you are more likely to make good decisions based on that information.
- Design: Graphic and website design are fundamentals of online marketing. The appearance of an ad, article, or even a product detail page can have a significant impact on how the marketing message or even the product is perceived. The appearance of your site, your ads, and your branding materials are important to e-commerce success.
- Development: The ability to write code can be a great advantage for marketing specialists. This ability can be as basic as understanding HTML and CSS so that you can do a better job publishing articles in WordPress. Or it could be the ability to develop your own marketing tools and reports.
According to some estimates, half of all digital marketing jobs require at least some technical experience. This is the case because big part of what you do online requires at least an understanding of coding. Learn to code and you will have more control over your marketing. With more control, your chances of success increase.
- Advertising: E-commerce advertising must be planned, created, purchased, executed, and measured. And it needs to be done across many channels, using many forms of media, including pay-per-click advertising in search engines and on social media sites, display advertising, native advertising, mobile advertising, video commercials, and more.
- Email Marketing: An email address can define you online. It is, in some measure, your digital name, and email marketing can be one of the best ways to reach ecommerce customers. You can communicate directly with consumers who know your business and are interested in your products. Learning how to market effectively through email may be the best thing you can do for your ecommerce marketing.
- Marketing Automation: Marketing automation can reduce marketing expenses, increase conversion rates, increase average order value, and, in some cases, even improve the buyer experience. As a skill, marketing automation is about managing processes and workflows on an automation platform like Marketo, Infusionsoft, or even MailChimp. For your eCommerce marketing, find the automation tools that work for your business and master them.
- Search Engine Optimization: Search engine optimization is the process of making your web pages easy for web crawlers to access and index. The idea is that, if Google, Bing, and other search engines can easily find and catalog what’s on your page, they can more easily include your site on the corresponding results pages.
The goal of SEO is not to fool search engines with fake content or keyword stuffing, but to help search engines locate and understand your content. Done right, SEO will help make your site easy to find, which can lead to marketing success.